December 30, 2008

I’ve always had to visionproblems, and now I know what one of them is called: Floaters

Floaters are tiny clumps of fibers or cells inside the vitreous, the clear gel-like fluid that fills the inside of your eye. They can appear as little dots, circles, lines, clouds or cobwebs. You may see small specks or clouds moving in your field of vision. While they look as if they are in front of your eye, they are actually floating inside it.  What you see are the shadows they cast on the retina, the layer of cells lining the back of the eye that senses light and allows you to see.

Never knew there was a name for it. My sister complains of the same thing, so I guess it is in the family. Chatting with Mark Dubin, in SL, and he described my jumping eye syndrome as “vertical oscillopsia” which is cool. I can take that to the eye doctor for my next appointment. He also suggested looking at Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome, which describes it in conjunction with my tinnitus. Even better! Fun things to learn.

One Response to “Floaters”

  1. hmmm… happens to me when I swim.